Sunday, April 15, 2012

Traffic rules in the office corridor

The campus I work at is huge and fortunately for me, the lab is at the south most corner and my cubes about 10 mins walking distance towards the other end. Fortunately because, these days with the sedentary job types I hear, I at least get to move around.

I am aware of the traffic rules on the roads & highways, on the walkways or even on the bikeways! It was very interesting to see how people had a tacit agreement within a closed building to follow the same traffic rules while walking along the office corridors.

A few instances or observations I would like to point out -
1) People always walk on the same side/direction as the vehicles travel on the streets. In this case, walk with wall closer to your right.
2) Slow moving traffic - There are instances when I  foresee people walking very slow. Same as vehicles does with an indicator to change lanes, I would say an excuse me (aka indicator) and jump to the opposite lane and quickly switch back to my lane; of course after looking for the opposite side traffic. ;)
3) STOP signal at crossroads - There comes innumerous doors, stairs, rest-rooms along the way. People on the corridor would get preference and the cross road commuter after looking right and then left can then merge to the main street (corridor).
4) Something similar to emergency vehicles - At some times, there would be people carrying wafer boats or a trolley of wafer boats or one who is in a hurry to attend a meeting across the campus. These are priority vehicles/people. Everyone would space out and move towards the pavement (in this case, wall) and let them step over. This works synonymous to the rule when a cop car or ambulance or fire engine is seen along the streets.
5) One other, though minor - I have observed to maintain a certain distance between two people walking one behind another. Too close doesn't seem appropriate. If one from behind is speeding and doing a tailgate, by frustration, people would allow you to pass over similar to what happens on the streets. :)

As can be noticed in the image, I am oriented on the right side of the corridor strictly following the traffic model. On a funny note, with several routes possible, I have found 2 such routes from my cube to the lab. A scenic route (I term it the CA-1) and the other not so scenic route (I term it US-101). :D

I was never told about all these 'traffic rules'. I have no qualms on this protocol either. It has worked out just fine and people have followed. It is amazing how things fall in place by merely following and co-operating with fellow beings.
Follow the good and discard the bad would not be a bad statement to reiterate at the end of this post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment