Wednesday, September 21, 2011

An idea changes the world

Who on earth doesn't get an IDEA? Even the smallest creature has the ability to utilize its brain to some extent. And we being humans have higher brain power to come up with several thoughts and ideas. Hence, the world is challenging and progressing at such a fast rate; be it in a good way towards 'innovention' or on the harmful aspects too.

As a child, I had this one thought. If I remember correctly, it was during my 7th standard/grade or so. The traffic those days in Bangalore weren't that huge as compared to now. My father used to ride me to school but used to get late for the assembly mostly due to traffic. I had this idea of literally fly and skip the traffic. My idea was to have a small flying vehicle which would be in such a construction that it would work both on land for a ride and fly in the air based on the circumstance. I would ride the vehicle until I reach a traffic choc-a-block and take off to the point where there is no traffic and ride again. As and when I started learning of the outside world, with the aid of internet or interactions or a little more research, I learned about such a thing which exists now. Not very sure if that existed at the time when I had the idea, but it surely does now. Here is a sample link. One can google "flying car"or something that sounds similar to find the latest available ones for purchase if interested. ;) 

Fast forward to the Spring of 2009. I was doing my Masters here in the US of A, stayed with roomies and was fun. There is a general tendency to forget the location of say, a domestic item or get it lost with in the house. I started terming this as "Why is there no Control+F in life?" This got hyper when a 3 of us sat down one evening and started working out the needs and bring the concept to reality. To be frank, that was the first and last day we ever discussed, later to find this which got materialized in Fall 2010. I was happy to have even coined such a thing among my friends but sad to have not really challenged ourselves to make it happen. The concept utilized in the link above is of bluetooth technology but ours was through RFID tagging system. Not very sure which is cumbersome, but realized that we missed in making it to an article. Later, there was no single response when I shared the above link with my 2 other friends saying - "What we discussed came true!"; and that's when it struck me, who cares. I din't myself. :(

Later that very same year, another concept hit my other friend's mind. A Vehicular Networks related, making use of RF technology again. Took it from concept to some brainstorming among groups, read a few papers, discuss often about the updates we all have - were the things we did. And alas, all go in drain with everyone getting busy with their own jobs and job hunts and the likes. 

To summarize, it can be noted that, as a kid we had ideas but nothing happened. Later, at the times when we had constructive ideas, we weren't determined to do it. Once we did decide to do something, other priorities change the lanes. 
Good thing I take off from the above 3 examples is that - 
Kid: left it as an idea
Spring'09: left it at discussion
Fall'09: took a step further

NOW is the time to make any idea happen. I hope to do something useful in life.

PS: Publish an idea. You might as well make a patent. You never know!! :D

2 comments:

  1. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2124324/Flying-car-soars-closer-reality-Terrafugia-Transition-successful-test-flight.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pity myself! :(
    Referring to 'Control+F in life' and its a reality now - http://www.thetileapp.com/

    ReplyDelete