Saturday, November 10, 2012

Everyday is a Déjà vu

Everyday is a new day in terms of date, time, year and what not. But, what if the activities during the day remained the same as yesterday or if tomorrow repeats as today!! This is precisely what I am confused over or concerned about.

As a background; during school times, classes, assignments, projects, exams and papers took away most of the day and there was no strict manner in which things happened. It was all asynchronous. Take it with cooking food or chit-chat with roomies late in the night or watch movies at random too; there was no significane to being streamlined in what we were up to. 

This unruly behavior changed with settling in a job (and this is just the beginning :)). A big picture can be explained as below.

For each Monday through Friday - 
     wake-up, brush, shower, cereals for breakfast, 
     drive 5 mins to work, 
     work 8+ hrs for the day with lunch, 
     drive back home in 5 mins, 
     cook, dinner, clean, floss, brush, browse, sleep,
Repeat for the next day. 

Work seem to be the only variable part in the above loop which gets challenging or interesting or fascinating depending on what's going on; the rest being pretty monotonous. There are obviously a couple additions to the loop here & there during the week - phone calls back home or to friends or as today, by writing a blogpost. But, typically the above loop holds good almost always. 

Wonder how our parents and other people we have known been in the same jobs for eons, doing the same task day to day, following a similar typical routine in life, are coping up!!? It seems like a Déjà vu to me. The reason I say it as Déjà vu is that, going with the above flow, I know what I am up to the following morning at 8:30 - either in the shower or having cereals and the very next thing is to drive to work, there can be no other possibility. 

Solution: Looks like this is the reason we have weekends and a few holidays thrown into the equation to make use of them for some quality activities. It sometimes feels, making things a little complicated is worth; will probably get there. :D
Would like to add - there are many solutions here and I decoded a few only while I am writing these lines. So, the whole Déjà vu might not really be a problem, just that it needs to be overcome. :)

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you are talking about! And wonder, like you mentioned already, how our parents and infact everybody around have been coping up with the monotonicity without making it apparent?
    And honestly this sameness is beginning to become a doppelganger of a kind for me. Though at times, I do try to change it, I don’t want to do something out of the box especially on a weekday –fearing it might disturb my routine the next day. And now I wonder how I survived through all those sleepless nights working on assignments or just chatting away eating Maggi with roomies without worrying about how would I do without catching up with enough sleep the next day?
    And though there are some variables in this equation, this déjà vu lacks the spark (the one that you get from the word déjà vu itself), don’t you think?
    Couldn’t help but notice the words “asynchronous” “decode” “equation” “loop” – reminding me of Digital Design Concepts :)
    Agree there is a solution to this :) !! Right now it’s “learning Espanol” for me since I couldn’t reply to somebody’s text in Spanish :D
    Err ..The comment is a little too big for a “Comment”...Nevermind!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha..that's fine Keya. Cannot agree more on the word déjà vu. It was just at that moment, déjà vu sounded right to what I wanted to add. I am a little too concerned about modifying my day as you pointed out. But been realizing off late that, thoda risk maangta hai! ;)

      Delete
  2. Things would have been different if working in bangalore. Get up late in morning eat mom made variety thindis, enjoy at work with most of time having groups in office cafeteria, roam to different places after work say have slv idlys or food street chats, have a cool walk at bda park with sight seeing, or and the list goes on.. Then go back home have mom made dinner and sleep. The only variable here would be the different place we plan to go after work. Anyways this is applicable in weekdays!! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Madhu. Being back home is a completely different chapter altogether.
      I am glad you are having the fun moments although I am having fun too in my own way..! :)

      Delete