Monday, September 10, 2012

Facebook addiction!


These days with such a great network among friends and relatives be it through Facebook or twitter or blogs or YouTube channels, everyone tends to learn of everything another person is up to although security and privacy settings can be used to control the amount of information shared.
Twitter is something people have enjoyed and accepted. I once remember a friend getting Caltrain delay information due to an accident via twitter. Of all, I personally feel Facebook has been predominant in enticing crowd. It has attracted so much that it's hard to get off it. While responding to a survey, I stated time spent on Facebook per week to be 18 hours, which I am sure is quite less than I do. I woud like to share two instances of such Facebook addiction.
A sad case: This less known Facebook friend is back home in India who I had an acquaintance with. He once posted "Woke up to find my father no more!!!" or something which sounded similar. I was extremely shocked to see such an update and kept on wondered - How could anyone post that!! Well, just to make sure I read things right, I revisited his profile to only see the post deleted. It was only after one other friend confirmed of seeing the post that I was sure of what my eyes witnessed.
A supremely happy case: The Facebook status update said "Oh God, thank you God. Made my day. Thank you God." This gave away no information about the happiness. A few minutes later, comments started to flow and only then I understood that the person had got his Green Card (Permanent Residency) approved to carry forward his life in the US. A big deal, yes some what! Still such an open outburst of thanking God several times was not something I expected. And in this case too, the post got deleted in some time. It felt like God granted the person permission to live his life as if the person had never lived before. I would like to say, thank God; he got a life outside his motherland.

Confusion and frustration are the two things one could possibly see in me from the above two cases respectively. Best wishes to the two characters in my play. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment