Sunday, August 11, 2013

Observation and the observer

I am on this TGV train from Paris to Berne in Switzerland and opposite to me seated two girls - one for sure is a localite and the one sitting directly opposite to me, I was skeptical about.

However, myself being a keen observer (most of the times ;)), did figure out that she is from the States too. Three instances that helped me find out -

1. When the conductor (ticket check guy) walked by, we were to show our tickets and an identification. We obviously being from outside, the only form of ID was passport. The girl showed her passport too and I was already counting that she is not from any of the mainland European region. At this time, I was sure she is either from UK or the US.

2. Sun shining bright until about 9:15pm, as a courtesy I was prompted by my friend to check with her if it did okay to pull down the blinds of the train window. The response was clearly with an American accent - that's fine. :)

3. REI is a pretty famous co-op in the US with all travel backpacks, sporting equipments and the likes. The bag that was rolled in by her was from REI too. Although this was just a guess that she could be from the US, it just added to the fun!

Is it a valid statement to make that she was from the US since she used an iPhone!!? :D
     Probably not, because there were many people in Europe carrying iPhones. 

In all, I was indeed right after striking a conversation (glad I did). It was such a coincidence that she graduated from a pretty known university in Mountain Time, where I live; her family being in the state where my friend works, and her trip to a specific hotspot down in South America which me and my friend were researching and exploring about. Such a coincidence. 

Feels good! Haha..

No comments:

Post a Comment