Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Idaho connection

Traveling in Switzerland on a golden pass line train from Zweisimmen to Montreux, I happen to sit beside a cross-country couple; cross-country because, the husband was from Switzerland and the lady was from Sweden. :D

Upon a chat, I introduced myself to be from one of the states in the States and the lady popped the question - which state again, Idaho?
I was surprised to hear and clarified myself what was being asked for. Soon came the response - potatoes, from Idaho.
YES that's right. I live in Idaho and it is famous for potatoes and exported to quite a number of places in the world, of which I learned about Switzerland or Sweden to be one or both of them.

Wasn't just that, introducing my friend to have studied in Salt Lake City, the immediate outspoken word was Mormons. People are indeed aware of the world!!! :)

Again, it was not limited there. The couple were quite familiar with India and the 'romantic' bollywood movies (romantic, quoted by them) all thanks to the many film picturization in Switzerland.

If permitting and viable, we, the people should travel the world and get familiar with cultures & places around one another. So much more of general knowledge than reading books, you see!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment